Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Getting Word Out


Well so much for not racking up hours yesterday. I worked like a fiend over the last two days connecting with the media and pitching the NHEA. In many areas its going great. In other areas, I'm left scratching my head and wondering how people can so easily turn a blind eye. Today there were protests all over the US with the topic being immigration. At one time I questioned what the right solution was. Mind you, I am Hispanic. Born in Portland, Oregon. Then I realized that this whole nation is founded on immigration. That is what Ellis Island is all about. That's how your grandparents or great grandparents ended up here.


I have contacted several areas of the media, your basic three. I actually got a response today from an editor of a newspaper that went kind of like this:


Editor: We won't be using your press release because it doesn't really pertain to local news.


Yours Truly: Oh, I was under the impression that your community had a large Hispanic base.


Editor: It does. We have a lot of Hispanics in our area.


Yours Truly: Can I persuade you to reconsider? I think it would be of great interest to your readers to learn about this association and how it can benefit Hispanic families.


Editor: They'll never see it. They don't read us. We have had a terrible time cracking that market.


Okay...does anyone else here think that maybe if they published more information that was useful to the Hispanic community that they might "crack that market"? I found it very interesting that when an Easter egg lands in your lap, you let it hit the ground. Interesting. Somebody left me a message today on mybloglog.com that said he'd be interested to read more about the outreach work I am doing. What I am learning is that one person can't do it all. It takes a community of people to do the outreach work and spread the word so that the betterment can occur. Immigration is an issue that effects all of us. The NHEA offers a hand up, not a hand out. Empowers rather than enables. But most of all, it educates. Let me know if you are interested in helping the NHEA spread the word.

No comments: