Sunday, May 13, 2007

Can I Get Personal For A Moment?


Happy Mothers Day! It's not often that I get personal here on my business blog. But today I feel moved to. Maybe it's the nest of new baby sparrows out my back window that I can hardly tear myself away from watching as their parents diligently tend to their feedings. More likely it's that today I brought my horse off the mountain where she has been for the winter. We have LOOOONG winters here and time has just permited tearing her away from the green grass and the little brook that runs through her winter home. I thought I'd spend the better part of my afternoon trying to coax her off the mountain. I underestimated her. I took her pink bucket with a little grain and whistled for her. Her ears perked up and she saw me. I teasingly turned and started to walk away from her to make it all the more appealing. Before I was aware, she came running up behind me with four of her closest horsey friends to share in the reward. Needless to say she was not hard to catch. Upon putting her with new horses for her summer home at the polo field, she definatley felt a little out of place. I had another horse to exercise for a friend but I kept a close eye on my mare as I did so. She looked lonely but I knew she'd be okay. When I was done I walked over to her and she came running for me. As she did so one of the less excepting geldings took a bite at her. She kept running for me and finally got to the fence where I was and let out a big sigh. One of my polo teammates said, "she sure loves you, Christy". Well the feeling is mutual. I have a quote on my refridgerator that reads like this.


"I discovered that the horse is life itself, a metaphor but also an example of life's mystery and unpredictability, of life's generosity and beauty, a worthy object of repeated and ever changing contemplation".


I waited 37 years to own my first horse. And 41 to know one with her every thought and emotion. She is a sacrafice that I am happy to make. A freedom that I long to feel. A strength I didn't think I would ever find. And as she struggles to make her place in a new herd six miles away from me, I'd give anything to be right there watching her. At the end of my day tomorrow I will. And she'll nicker her pleasure to see me and I will know that all I do to have her is so well worth it.

No comments: