Friday, October 19, 2007

Diabetes - Treatable and Preventable


I am currently representing an Family Nurse Practitioner in my area. I had a wonderful and enlightening conversation with her in preparing to present her to local media interests. I'm glad to say that the media has taken to this information like ducks to water and I was so engrossed in my conversation with her, that I thought this information was worth passing on. I hope you find it as insightful as I did.

FNP Believes Preventative Care is Key

La Grande, Oregon: A Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) takes on several roles as a health care provider. In many instances they need to discern what is beneath the surface even if the patient doesn’t volunteer the information.

Renee Edwards, FNP, owner and founder of Village Health Care located at 1215 Washington Avenue in La Grande has found a passion in early detection and preventive health care, with a specialty in pre-diabetic diagnosis. “Often I can tell before any testing, that that person is in a pre-diabetic state,” says Edwards. She correlates the current diabetes epidemic with the rise in obesity.

Not a condition to be taken lightly, Edwards stresses that the results once a patient goes into a full-blown diabetic state are not desirable. “Diabetes damages nerves and vessels, harming the eyes and organs. It is a major cause of heart disease and stroke, blindness, amputation, candida and other skin infections, and kidney disease.” Edwards believes that preventive health care before the onset of disease is essential in warding off suffering down the road.

Edwards begins a diagnosis by collecting patient history and risk factors, observation, and testing, to determine a patient’s current health status. She feels that it’s important to assess the situation and weigh the advantages and disadvantages of employing various types of treatment. Helping patients understand their care is also an important factor. “For example, I want to help them see that taking preventive medication does not necessarily mean that they are sick,” she adds. “Many of us already take vitamins and minerals for preventive health. Some of us need a bit more.”

Along with endocrinology issues, Edwards also likes to focus her practice on other chronic health conditions, mental health and skin problems. “My favorite thing is to figure it out,” says Edwards. “Many illnesses aren’t easily diagnosed and I like that challenge.”

No comments: