Thursday, August 23, 2007

Bad Advertising vs. Good Advertising


I was just inspired to write about what constitutes good and bad advertising. The one that I just saw that DID NOT inspire me to buy their product is the Sour Skittles commercial with the milking machine hooked up to some hairy crabby old guy. The idea that sour milk from a sour old man creates Sour Skittles. I most likely will not buy that product if for a moment I think that product comes from the mammary glands of an old icky man. Now one I recently saw that did picque my attention was for Hineken beer. It had catchy techno music and an attractive "robot" come out to the beat to expose that she was carrying a Hineken mini keg and demostrate the ease in which you could tap the keg. The commercial had me thoroughly engrossed throughout because I wanted to see what was going to happen next. I even found myself thinking that that might be handy for the polo field instead of six packs (who am i kidding ....cases) of beer. The Cavemen? Bad. Entertaining, yes. But I couldn't tell you for one second what it is they sell. In my opinion, good advertising is anything that makes you stop and look at it. A magazine ad. If it catches my eye long enough to read it, study it or just try to figure it out? It was worth the money they paid for it. If I skim by it? Rethink it. I also just attended a webinar regarding added video to your website. Wonderful concept. With the popularity of You Tube these days, you will begin to see more and more of that. I would suggest keeping the above mentioned in mind. If you would like to know more about what I learned, shoot me a comment. I'll be happen to enlighten. And I didn't think I had anything to say today.....Happy Thursday!

4 comments:

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

You should see some of the local ads shown here in my country. It's so pathetic, that I often wonder if they let some 3 year old do it ... and worse yet, I work in the advertising industry.

Unknown said...

Hi gingersnap,
I've got to admit that most of the ads in Australia leave a lot to be desired...Where have the clever ads gone? Maybe Nick can advise - are the ad creators just not very witty or does the viewing audience not have the mental capacity to appreciate them? :) My buddy in the ad game here suggests the latter of course!!!
Another point to note - most of the amusing ads here are aimed at selling to men (blokey beer commercials, men's deoderant etc). Are we still stuck in the "women want to know about whiter than whites" era? Hmmmmm.....

jon said...

I totally get where you're coming from. I find it in remarkably poor taste, and I hate what's happened to our culture that something that is in such poor taste could even be considered for broadcast. But, here's the thing ... we're talking about it! that's what advertising is geared to do after all. And most importantly, their target audience, not surprisingly, thinks that it's "awesome". In that respect, it's a great ad for the company. Poor taste or not.

Anonymous said...

Cavemen = Geico

Methinks they are better knwon than the lizard!