Friday, March 9, 2007

Networking, Networking, Networking....


Hey there...I am currently attending an Entrepreneur Day at a local college where I live. What an experience. Thus far, it has been completely lucrative to my business and some really great connections and networking relationships are being formed. But what I am learning has been eye opening. I have been attending the marketing classes that are being offered because I want to know what people in my area are being taught about it. I am here to tell you that at least in my corner of the world what is being taught is still the basic archaic methods of advertising that marketer like you and I don't hold that much stock in any more. I am still hearing newspaper, mailings, radio, flyers....etc. I was shocked. In the last class I sat in there were at least three out of 25 that spoke up to say that they had internet businesses that they wanted to take nationally and internationally and were not finding good solid answers on how to do so. I realize that I was sitting among 25 people that I could help. And I did. I approached one of the ladies that had got nowhere with her tile business. As I was visiting with her, I had two other people approach me and want to set up time to talk to me. You and I eat, sleep and breathe SEO, SEM, B2B, B2C, web site management, marketing plans, publicity and the like. But I'm here to tell you that we are still on the cutting edge and there are PLENTY of people out there who need our services. We just have to get out there and get them. My advice for the day is to attend business fairs in your area armed with brochures, business cards and whatever else you can carry and RUN to the event. Arrive early and stay late. People are hungry for what we can teach them and how we can help them to be successful. I have to get back now. They are getting ready to break for lunch and I don't want to miss the opportunity.

No comments: