Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Bringing Out the Best


I love winter. It's my favorite time of year. I am certain I was a pioneer woman in a previous life. I don't feel like I've really gotten the most out of the season unless I have suffered a little. Chop a little wood, bundle up a little more....Well be careful what you ask for.

Currently, my town is 6 degrees. It is what I call booger freezin' cold! And I'm getting my wish. My truck hesitates to start, but start it does. And as most of you know, I also own a horse so keeping her warm and fed, not to mention dragging a hose across and ally to keep her water trough full, is criteria enough for a little winter suffering in this cold snap.

But aside from the cold and picturesque snow, this time of year seems to bring out the best in people. People reach out to each other a little more when conditions are a little more challenging. You see neighbors helping each other shovel out their walks. You see complete strangers diving out of their own warm rigs to give a push to someone who is stuck or at least having trouble moving forward. I have pulled over to offer rides to folks not dressed for the conditions. On the news where the homeless are prevelant, you see more donations of blankets and warm clothing going out to those in need. And even those who are financially tight will dig a little deeper in their pockets to give what they can to the bell ringers.

No one wants to see anyone suffer more that what is expected during this time of year and I feel that the cold brings out the best in each one of us. Yes, we all grumble out our personal discomfort in times of extreme cold, but we might as well make the most of it and do what we can for others. There is always someone a little worse off than you are. Look around and see the unparalleled beauty the cold brings. And notice the giving that comes with it. For me, it is Christmas Spirit and what the season is all about. Throw another log on the fire and enjoy.

No comments: